The Organ

During the ministry of the Rev J. G. MacIntosh an organ was installed. The organ was built by Mr Charles Brindley of Sheffield, England and was arranged and planned by Professor Hopkins of the Temple Church, London. Professor Hopkins also superintended its building and tried its tone before being shipped to Hobart.

An addition was made to the rear of the church to house the organ pipes etc which was completed in November 1860. and is still in use today as are the bell and clock.

While many were thrilled with the new organ, its installation was not welcomed by all with some questioning the place of a musical instrument such as an organ in worship.

Later the efforts of the Reverend James Scott led to the establishment of Officer College, the Presbyterian Ladies College and to the University of Tasmania. Scott was a member of the first University Council and Senate.

Over the years the congregation has been led by many exceptional ministers who in turn have played an integral part in the history of Hobart and its environs as well as the people they ministered to.